Skip to main content



Historical Records of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute from the Director's Vault

Historical Records of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute from the Director's Vault

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute:

A Guide to Historical Records of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute from the Director's Vault, 1950-1994

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St. Williamstown, MA 01267

March 31, 2009



Profile Description

Creation: Finding aid encoded by Dani Ryan February 8, 2008
Language: Finding aid written in English.

Collection Summary

Repository:Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St.
Williamstown, MA 01267
Creator: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
Title: Historical Records of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute from the Director's Vault
Dates: 1950-1994
Quantity:.75 linear feet (2 boxes)
Abstract: This series contains an assortment of programmatic records of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute found in the Director's Vault.
Identification: 2008.06
Language: English

Arrangement of the Records

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Scope and Contents of the Records

This series contains an assortment of records relating to the early history of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. The records include newspaper clippings; early photographs of the museum; correspondence and memoranda discussing the development of museum policies and regulations; correspondence and notes from Talcott Banks, first president of the Board of Trustees, about Peter Guille's resignation as director; a report on Stone Hill by a Williams student; and correspondence with Peter Guille's family from the 1980s. It also includes two folders of photographs and negatives. One folder contains images of what was once the Director's residence on Whitman Street; the other contains photographs of Sterling and Francine Clark around the time of the opening of the Clark and pictures of the Adriance house that stood on the site of the Clark. Some of these are duplicated in the Photographs 1953-1990 series.


History of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to public in 1955, the Institute has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with a complement of research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Building upon the founders' legacy, the Institute has recently unveiled its master plan for the twenty-first century, which fosters the Clark's commitment to providing space for its expanding research and museum programs while maintaining the unique character of its beautiful rural setting.


Index Terms

Names:

Banks, Talcott
Brooke, David S.
Cutter, R. Ammi (Richard Ammi), b. 1902
De Rham, Casimir, 1924-
Goodwillie, Eugene W.
Guille, Peter
Guille, Peter Jr.
Hamilton, George Heard
Perry, Daniel, d. 2002

Organizations:

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

Subjects:

Art museum directors
Art museums
Art museums -- Employees

Places:

Williamstown (Mass.)

Document Types:

Correspondence
Invoices
Black-and-white negatives
Black-and-white photographs
Clippings
Telegrams

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

This material is currently restricted.

Restrictions on Use

This material is currently restricted.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

These items were placed in the Director's Vault shortly after their creation.

Preferred Citation

[Cite the item (as appropriate)], Historical Records from the Director's Vault, 1950-1994, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts.

Acquisition Information

These records were acquisitioned from the Director's Vault in February 2008. The two folders of photographs were added in January 2009, but they were removed from the Director's Vault at the same time as the prior materials, in February 2008.

Processing Information

These records were processed in February 2008. The records were placed in chronological order, staples were removed, and items were rehoused in acid-free folders and boxes.


Related Material

Related or similar material can be found in the following series in the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Archives, Williamstown, Massachusetts: Records of the Director's Office, 1955-1977; Records and Papers of David Brooke, Director, 1977-1996; Director's Office Records of David Brooke, 1980-1994; Director's Office Early Financial Records, 1955-1967; Photographs, 1953-1990.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK