Skip to main content



Records of the Librarian

Records of the Librarian

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute:

A Guide to the Records of the Librarian, 1978-1996

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St. Williamstown, MA 01267

March 31, 2009



Profile Description

Creation: Finding aid encoded by Dani Ryan January 31, 2008
Language: Finding aid written in English.

Collection Summary

Repository:Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St.
Williamstown, MA 01267
Creator: Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. Library
Creator: Rinehart, Michael
Creator: Roeper, Susan, 1957-
Creator: Gibson, Sally (Sarah S.)
Title: Records of the Librarian
Dates: 1978-1996
Quantity:1.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
Abstract: This series contains the records of the Office of the Librarian at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute.
Identification: CAI ARC 2008.02
Language: English

Arrangement of the Records

The arrangement of this series has not been altered. It is arranged in a roughly chronological, but occasionally topical, order.

Scope and Contents of the Records

This series contains records from the office of the Librarian at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. The Office of the Librarian was first held by Michael Rinehart from 1966-1987, then by Sally Gibson from 1987-1997, and by Susan Roeper from 1997-present. Each librarian used and added to the files of his or her predecessor and consequently these files are a mix of material from Rinehart, Gibson, and Roeper. This series contains correspondence with other libraries and institutions, library budgets from 1992-1996, staff meeting records, policy handbooks and guidelines, research and reports on library projects and committees, and the records of several patron satisfaction surveys.


History of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to public in 1955, the Institute has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with a complement of research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Building upon the founders' legacy, the Institute has recently unveiled its master plan for the twenty-first century, which fosters the Clark's commitment to providing space for its expanding research and museum programs while maintaining the unique character of its beautiful rural setting.


Index Terms

Names:

Gibson, Sally (Sarah S.)
Rinehart, Michael
Roeper, Susan, 1957-
Wees, J. Dustin, 1944-

Organizations:

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

Subjects:

Art museums
Art libraries
Art museums -- Employees

Places:

Williamstown (Mass.)

Document Types:

Administrative reports
Budgets
Correspondence
Memorandums
Questionnaires

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

This material is currently restricted.

Restrictions on Use

This material is currently restricted.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

These records remained in the office of the Librarian until January 2008.

Preferred Citation

[Cite the item (as appropriate)], Records of the Librarian, 1978-1996, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts.

Acquisition Information

These records were accessioned from the office of the Librarian in January 2008.

Processing Information

These records were processed in January 2008. Staples were removed and materials were re-housed in acid free folders and boxes.


Related Material

Related or similar material can be found in the following series at the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Williamstown, Massachusetts: Library Records of the Photograph and Slide Librarian; Library Records of Michael Rinehart, 1965-1980; Library Acquisitions Ledger, 1965-1997.


Separated Material

A library acquisitions ledger was removed from this material and given its own series, 2008.03.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK