Skip to main content



Records of the Sales Desk, 1955-1971

Records of the Sales Desk, 1955-1971

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute:

A Guide to the Records of the Sales Desk, 1955-1971

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St. Williamstown, MA 01267

March 31, 2009



Profile Description

Creation: Finding aid encoded by Dani Ryan September 11, 2007
Language: Finding aid written in English.

Collection Summary

Repository:Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St.
Williamstown, MA 01267
Creator:Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
Title: Records of the Sales Desk, 1955-1971
Dates: 1955-1971
Quantity: 2.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
Abstract: This series contains the correspondence of the Museum Sales Desk from 1957-1962.
Identification:CAI ARC 2007.42
Language: English

Arrangement of the Records

This collection is arranged chronologically and by subject within each year.

Scope and Contents of the Records

This series primarily contains correspondence to and from the museum's sales desk from 1957-1962. At this early point in the museum's history, the sales desk handled a variety of museum issues later associated with other departments such as the museum shop, the library, and the public education department. Correspondence topics represented in these files include bills paid, brochure and catalogue requests, slide loans and reproductions, visitor suggestions, group tours, lost and found items, and general inquiries about the hours and operation of the museum. Much of the correspondence is addressed to or from Mildred Flynn, the sales supervisor. There is also a seemingly unrelated file containing a legal document naming the executors of Francine Clark's will in 1960.


History of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to public in 1955, the Institute has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with a complement of research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Building upon the founders' legacy, the Institute has recently unveiled its master plan for the twenty-first century, which fosters the Clark's commitment to providing space for its expanding research and museum programs while maintaining the unique character of its beautiful rural setting.


Index Terms

Names:

Collins, William J.
Flynn, Mildred

Organizations:

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

Subjects:

Museum stores
Art museums

Places:

Williamstown (Mass.)

Document Types:

Constitutions
Correspondence
Invoices
Wills

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

This material is currently restricted.

Restrictions on Use

This material is currently restricted.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

This material was moved to Storage A sometime after 1971.

Preferred Citation

[Cite the item (as appropriate)], Records of the Sales Desk, 1955-1971, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts.

Acquisition Information

This material was acquisitioned from Storage A in August 2007.

Processing Information

These records were organized chronologically and placed in acid-free folders but staples were not removed.


Related Material

Related or similar material can be found in the following series in the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Williamstown, Massachusetts: Records of the Long Range Plan; Director's Office Early Financial Records; Director's Office Records of Inquiries; and Records of the Museum Shop.


Separated Material

A file of meeting minutes, a constitution, and other records of a 1959 graphic arts discussion group for Williams students headed by William Collins was removed from this series and added to the William Collins material.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK