Skip to main content



The Architects Collaborative Records of the Manton Research Center

The Architects Collaborative Records of the Manton Research Center

Save page 1 of 2
Open Finding Aid
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
Large
Extra Large
large ( > 500x500)
Full Resolution

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute:

A Guide to the Architects Collaborative Records of the Manton Research Center, 1966-1973

Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St. Williamstown, MA 01267

March 31, 2009



Profile Description

Creation: Finding aid encoded by Lacy Schutz December 26, 2008
Language: Finding aid written in English.

Collection Summary

Repository:Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
225 South St.
Williamstown, MA 01267
Creator:The Architects Collaborative
Title: The Architects Collaborative Records of the Manton Research Center
Dates:1966-1973
Quantity:2 boxes
Abstract: These records, generated by The Architects Collaborative, relate to the design and construction of the Clark's 1973 Manton building
Identification:CAI ARC 2008.26
Language: English

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is boxed according to the dimensions of the materials.

Scope and Contents of the Records

This series consists of four binders / albums assembled by the Architects Collaborative in relation to their work on the Clark's 1973 Manton Research Center, at the time referred to simply as the '73 building or the red granite building. The first is a brown binder titled General Documents and Technical Specifications for Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute. It is 9.25 x 11.5 x 2.25 inches and seems to be more complete than any of the spec manuals held by the Clark's Facilities department. There are two black proposal binders, one measuring 10.75 x 14.5 x 2 and the other measuring 12.5 x 14.5 x 1.75. They contain copies of drawings and sketches for the proposed building, photographs of models, schematic design descriptions, site plans, and information about the Clark and the existing Museum building. Finally, there is a thin spiral-bound notebook measuring 9.25 x 11.5 x .75 that is a portfolio of descriptive data for the 1976 AIA Honor Awards Program.

The Architects Collaborative was formed in 1945 by Walter Gropius. The Clark's building was designed by Pietro Belluschi in collaboration with TAC.


History of the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute

In 1950 Sterling and Francine Clark chartered the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute as a home for their extensive art collection. Opened to public in 1955, the Institute has built upon this extraordinary group of works to become one of the most beloved and respected art museums in the world, known for its intimate galleries and stunning natural environment. One of the few institutions in the United States that combines a public art museum with a complement of research and academic programs, including a major art history library, the Clark is now a leading international center for research and discussion on the nature of art and art history. Building upon the founders' legacy, the Institute has recently unveiled its master plan for the twenty-first century, which fosters the Clark's commitment to providing space for its expanding research and museum programs while maintaining the unique character of its beautiful rural setting.


Index Terms

Names:

Belluschi, Pietro, 1899-1994
Bednarek, Bob
Erneman, Mike
Fletcher, Norman
Hayes, John
Jahncke, Davis
Kaufmann, Porte
Kennedy, Bob
Parsons, Spencer
Richards, Larry
Rodriques, Juan
Steffek, Ron
Wyman, John

Organizations:

Architects Collaborative, Inc.

Subjects:

Art museum architecture

Places:

Williamstown (Mass.)

Document Types:

Albums
Architectural drawings (visual works)
Ring binders
Site plans
Architectural drawings (process)

Restrictions

Restrictions on Access

This material is currently restricted.

Restrictions on Use

This material is currently restricted.


Administrative Information

Custodial History

These items were part of the records of the Architects Collaborative until the firm dissolved in 1995. According to Michael Conforti, they were "rescued from a dumpster." According to a note with the material, a rare book dealer named Martha Mercer facilitated their transfer to the Clark in 1996. They were kept in the Director's Vault and perhaps elsewhere at the Clark until they were accessioned by the Archives in 2008.

Preferred Citation

[Cite the item (as appropriate)], The Architects Collaborative Records of the Manton Research Center, 1966-1973, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts.

Acquisition Information

All of these items were accessioned from the Director's Vault in December 2008. They were missing for a time from the Vault but were returned at some point between February 2008, when an inventory of the Vault was done, and when they were found and accessioned in December.

Processing Information

These items were examined and then rehoused in acid-free, unbuffered boxes.


Related Material

Related materials may be found in the following collection within the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute Records: Specifications Manuals for the Service, Museum, and Manton Buildings, 1952-1973.


you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK